News: Welcome to our club, we are always looking for improvements to the site, if you have any suggestions please post them up...

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 15, 2024, 08:34:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Concerned about the number of breaker cars  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
  • GT4 Model: ST185
Concerned about the number of breaker cars
« on: July 27, 2007, 11:56:14 am »
It seems that whenever anyone has a problem they break the car - we must be losing numbers rapidly, especially in 185 world. I wonder what % remain whole.

White '91 185, 205 gearbox and Rev2 Mr2 Tubby Engine, CT20b. Megasquirted @ 14psi.

Offline Mac247

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
Re: Concerned about the number of breaker cars
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 12:26:03 pm »
I have to admit with the older cars  it is just more cost effective to break them, its happening in
the cosworth world too, it breaks and instead of asking for help and advice they just break them.

Need more people on the forums/local group scene to let gt4 owners know there is a place where they can go for help and breaking is not the answer. Either that or soon these cars will be so rare that people will start hiding them in garages for another 10years so they can make money off them in the future.

Offline rubberduck_10_4uk

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is like my home!
  • BIG-UP! 2
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 01:02:23 pm »
soon these cars will be so rare that people will start hiding them in garages for another 10years so they can make money off them in the future.

Or realise their true value ;D ;D ;D. People like me who have spent shed loads on these cars, not that you ever think you will, have no option other than to break to get even 30-50% of the costs back. But TBH I think these cars are so under valued, they should start appreciating soon.... fingers crossed :)
Best Regards
Nigel

always check for paper BEFORE sitting down :)

Offline mark165

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 01:48:40 pm »
I'm breaking a 165 essentially to keep bits for my good one. I got a bit fed up with paying through the nose for 165 bits when getting it on the road. So i bought a parts car.

All the 165/185 needs is one major problem i.e. clutch or gearbox and it renders them unaffordable. I saw a 185 go for £600 down my way, if they fall out the loop of the enthusiast then its a slippery slope..

I hope that sooner or later people will recognise that they are running out and the value will begin to rise.

Offline RobbieMcVee

• GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 11
  • Oi!!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 04:12:08 pm »
There are many reasons for breaking a car - written off.. broken.. finance.. getting old etc etc..

The reason i broke my car is that i had enough of it.. it was a pile of crap and i didnt want to sell it knowing that someone else would have to take it on.
I bought it in good faith and got shafted.. i didnt want to do that to anyone.

The cars being broken now are keeping others alive and for a lesser cost.. and i have bought parts off cars being broken - the more the merrier i say..!
PHEW!!!!

Offline silverspeed

• GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 05:23:30 pm »
what about the people who are breaking these cars just to make some money...whats the world coming too..

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 05:26:58 pm »
mines was in good condition it just got stolen and took a knock at the front, so basically i've lost heart in the car, hence the reason of going out and buying a CS the car i've always wanted, i've recouped alot already breaking it, selling the mods off it and there is still alot of the car still there so it was more profitable for me to break rather than to fix or sell the car whole

Offline AndyS

• GT4EC is like my home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 11:07:04 pm »
what about the people who are breaking these cars just to make some money...whats the world coming too..

u should break urs..... its well gay, like the driver  :D ;D

Offline silverspeed

• GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 05:04:23 pm »
look u sheep shaggin.. wooley bum bandit,  i'll break my car when you manage to get four wheels the same colour.!  ;D

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
  • GT4 Model: ST185
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 06:40:18 pm »
I know the reasons for breaking, I just wonder if we should try a little harder before choosing to do so, thats all - especially as a group of enthusiasts - not just your average user. I just wonder how many UK 185s there are left, for example - not many I'd have said. Joe blogs will bin the car, repair costs are huge so it would just get scrapped, but as an EC member id hope more would keep hold of it. Im not judging, just commenting really.

White '91 185, 205 gearbox and Rev2 Mr2 Tubby Engine, CT20b. Megasquirted @ 14psi.

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 01:28:25 am »
mines was too far gone to be repaired and mines was a jdm, but if my sainz ever took a knock it would deffo be put back together in some way or another

Offline ST165OKE

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 10:05:24 pm »
loads of people told me mines wasnt worth bothering with but by hook and crook i got cheap parts here and there and she is getting there slowly
cost so far £900 in 3 months....plus £950 for the car
ouch

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 923
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:22:13 am)
Users Online