News: To pay your membership fee by PayPal please send your email address to Cee .

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 12, 2024, 08:55:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: FYI New MOT regs coming in  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
  • GT4 Model: ST185
FYI New MOT regs coming in
« on: November 07, 2011, 06:05:07 pm »
Just a note to all, new MOT regs are coming in to action, a bunch more testable items including, but not limited to the fact that if your car had a CAT from the factory it must have one for the MOT, even if it can pass emissions without. There's a whole heap more about suspension and steering joints and about dash warning lights. Also it seems to be a new clause that drivers seats must have adjustable positions front-rear so anyone who's seat is not mounted on rails is in for an expensive change if they can't find a friendly MOT garage.

New sections are highlighted in black next to them in the manual:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT%20Inspection%20Manual.pdf

White '91 185, 205 gearbox and Rev2 Mr2 Tubby Engine, CT20b. Megasquirted @ 14psi.

Offline Chris_de_Bear

• GT4EC is like my home!
  • BIG-UP! 1
Re: FYI New MOT regs coming in
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 03:22:30 pm »
Thanks for the link, nice to have the full document as I've heard many rumours but not seen the test methods or exact wording.

My reading of the rule Re. cats is that it only comes into play when a cat test is called for. An early 185 import doesn't qualify for a cat test and therefore won't be checked/failed if it doesn't have one.

On vehicles that qualify for a full cat emissions test, check the presence of the catalytic converter.

Again, have heard much about aftermarket HIDs being failures or needing self leveling, it seems the handbooik just says that self leveling & washing must work if fitted.

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.
Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.

Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

Offline Leeky

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 09:45:12 am »
Blimey, i hope this doesnt come into play as i've since sold my cat as i was convinced i'd never need it again!  :-\
94 ST205 Black, No Sunroof, No Abs Model. Approx 1280kgs and Dyno'd 330bhp

95 Yamaha FZR600R Foxeye 100bhp

Offline ChrisW

• ST185
  • Chairperson
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:49:24 am »
I recall seeing an entry re tyre pressure monitoring systems as well, not that it would affect us lot as such, however, it goes along the same lines.....if it's fitted, it must work and not show up a warning lamp.....heel of an expensive repair for a valve in my opinion.

Cheers

www.wefixalloys.co.uk
www.facebook.com/WeFixAlloysNewcastle
ST185 Jap Grey(his) 401bhp and 350lbft at 1.5bar
ST185 Jap Grey(hers) 276bhp and 270lbft

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585
  • Online Today: 134