News: Take advantage of the members discounts  be sure to pay your membership fee. Ask Cee for details...

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 14, 2024, 06:07:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Bigger injectors or more of them :D  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
  • GT4 Model: ST185
Bigger injectors or more of them :D
« on: June 05, 2011, 03:10:39 pm »
So I've been upping the boost bit by bit and tuning the table up there in the "scary region" and as I approach 1 bar I'm requiring 90%+ duty cycle on the 440s just to maintain 11.5:1 at 5K revs, I'd be happier at 11:1ish and I'm not happy living on borrowed time. I spiked at a commanded 104%DC due to a mis-triggered accel enrichment  :o (just hold the taps open sir!) So the question arises - cheap option, 205 injectors and cope happily to about 17psi I suspect. But something much bigger and have a bitch of a time tuning idle and lose my overdraft. Or buy a second set of 440s on a rail and get the intake machined for a second set of injectors......? The last option gives good idle and stupendous amounts of fueling possible but does mean a fair amount of work. First option is cheap but will I be happy limited at that? Middle option just seems too pricey for me to consider at this point.

White '91 185, 205 gearbox and Rev2 Mr2 Tubby Engine, CT20b. Megasquirted @ 14psi.

Offline martyn_pryor

• GT4EC Staff
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 3
Re: Bigger injectors or more of them :D
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 03:49:37 pm »
Personally I'd put faff injectors in for the moment, as they run happily on a standard 185 rail and you could drill it out to get more flow through, if needed.

Things you will need to consider with making a 2nd fuel rail, is the cost of the injectors, and the work involved. (Granted 2 lots of 440s may cost less than a single set of 900's) You could also plot a map that would only use 1 set of injectors should any go down, that way should it happen, the car will still work and buy you a bit more time before needing to sort out the problem.

I'm now thinking that the 2nd rail way may be the way forward, but then again unless you are trying for times on the drag strip like Pete, 800's on a single rail would probably be more than adequate for a rev 2 engine.

Now you have got me thinking about it, and how to fuel my crate, after upgrading the ECU and tubby.
There is never enough free time for anything fun.

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 03:54:36 pm »
:D maybe faff ones for the time being and wait for the holiday cashflow crisis to ease a bit and then buy in a second manifold and get work to do me a foreigner and machine up the mani to suit and swap over.... :).

I'm not aiming at a drag strip car, this is purely for road based amusement, but while you have the ability to tune up above 1 bar is seems rude not to!

White '91 185, 205 gearbox and Rev2 Mr2 Tubby Engine, CT20b. Megasquirted @ 14psi.

Offline toyokid

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 11:35:48 pm »
Hello James

I have just removed a set of rev 3, 540cc injectors from my car
they were going to run with a hybrid, until it blew its oilseals!

So I have fitted 800cc Sards to go with a ball bearing turbo

Let me know if you are interested.

Stephen

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 01:14:38 am »
Interested - yes, but currently about to fly to Iceland so out of both time and cash for this month! Ping me a PM with your asking price and I'll see what I can dig out of the barrel when I return - they may form a nice stopgap while I get things machined.

Offline toyokid

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:47:28 pm »
Hello James
The injectors were cleaned prior to fitment
and had new o rings fitted
so I was thinking about £15 each.

Stephen
s.ault@me.com

Members