News: Take advantage of the members discounts  be sure to pay your membership fee. Ask Cee for details...

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 14, 2024, 08:06:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Local PubWatch Scheme  (Read 3607 times)

Offline ChrisW

• ST185
  • Chairperson
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
Local PubWatch Scheme
« on: August 22, 2009, 09:18:47 am »

www.wefixalloys.co.uk
www.facebook.com/WeFixAlloysNewcastle
ST185 Jap Grey(his) 401bhp and 350lbft at 1.5bar
ST185 Jap Grey(hers) 276bhp and 270lbft

Offline simonst205

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 2
Re: Local PubWatch Scheme
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 08:42:39 pm »
I read some time ago that all the mps that voted for the smoking ban have been banned from a lot of pubs in the country.
Cant really blame them as every other pub in my area has closed down. The only thing they could have done worse would have been to ban alcohol in pubs (probably will in a few years).

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
  • GT4 Model: ST185
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 04:10:24 pm »
Odd one really, our local is now flourishing with heaps of non-smoking locals who didn't like the blue fog atmosphere. Maybe it's area dependant?

White '91 185, 205 gearbox and Rev2 Mr2 Tubby Engine, CT20b. Megasquirted @ 14psi.

Offline jackel

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 07:30:46 pm »
Odd one really, our local is now flourishing with heaps of non-smoking locals who didn't like the blue fog atmosphere. Maybe it's area dependant?
must be area dependent because at least 50% of the pubs round notts have closed since the smoking ban was introduced
Karl Mountney

Offline simonst205

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 2
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 08:53:15 pm »
Sad times for smokers these days in this country. Hounded at work and play so I guess most just sit at home infront of the TV with a few cans? Difficult to hold a job down if the company has a no smoking policy on site. Some tolerance would have been better eg smoking pubs, smoking rooms at work etc. Smokers are I think 25% of the population after all.
Sad seeing all the pubs with for sale signs on them.
Hopefully some common sense returns to this country after the revolution!

Offline jackel

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 09:00:57 pm »
Sad times for smokers these days in this country. Hounded at work and play so I guess most just sit at home infront of the TV with a few cans? Difficult to hold a job down if the company has a no smoking policy on site. Some tolerance would have been better eg smoking pubs, smoking rooms at work etc. Smokers are I think 25% of the population after all.
Sad seeing all the pubs with for sale signs on them.
Hopefully some common sense returns to this country after the revolution!
amen to the revolution :)
Karl Mountney

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
  • GT4 Model: ST185
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 11:25:40 pm »
The other 75% of the population were sick of stinking and suffering passive smoke effects when all they wanted was a night out with their mates in the pub. I'm all for the ban, you can smoke anywhere you like providing you don't force it on others. For all the smokers complaining that they'd rather now stay at home because they cant smoke, before it was the non-smokers saying they might as well stay at home because they dont want to come home wheezing coughing. Both around my old place (near wigan/st helens) and my new place (Glasgow) everywhere is a damn sight cleaner and still rammed every night. And as a positive point, the lack of smell means people can now smell the places with sticky horrible scummy carpets and keep well away until they get cleaned/changed!

White '91 185, 205 gearbox and Rev2 Mr2 Tubby Engine, CT20b. Megasquirted @ 14psi.

Offline Frikkin Evil

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 12:11:17 am »
The other 75% of the population were sick of stinking and suffering passive smoke effects when all they wanted was a night out with their mates in the pub. I'm all for the ban, you can smoke anywhere you like providing you don't force it on others. For all the smokers complaining that they'd rather now stay at home because they cant smoke, before it was the non-smokers saying they might as well stay at home because they dont want to come home wheezing coughing. Both around my old place (near wigan/st helens) and my new place (Glasgow) everywhere is a damn sight cleaner and still rammed every night. And as a positive point, the lack of smell means people can now smell the places with sticky horrible scummy carpets and keep well away until they get cleaned/changed!

Well said. I think it's been an important public health decision, quite unlike our politicians (North and South of the border) to be so bold. We had some pubs round here that closed, but I think the ban was the last nail in the coffin as they were all run down before that. We certainly aren't short of places to drink and be merry round here, and when you do, you don't come home smelling like an ashtray.

Offline flyingtele

• GT4EC Staff
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 2
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 03:19:22 am »
I totally agree with the last two posts. New Zealand has had a smoking ban in place since 2004, and it covers all indoor hospitality venues and some work venues. Most smokers realise that smoking is their choice and not a right, and if they want to smoke then they go outside, rather than forcing all around to suffer. And rather than harm business for pubs, the has improved business because its a much more enjoyable place to be, and most pubs provide outdoor smoking areas so that smokers can still smoke and drink on the premises.

Offline Jeff

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 668
  • No 23
  • GT4 Model: CS and UK WRC (and an Amica)
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 07:47:03 am »
I have to agree with the smoking ban (  :o ??? ) as a lot of you know it is one of my hobbies  :'(
I was banned at home many years ago and had to venture outside or into the garage  :(
My other hobbies include drinking (but NEVER at home) and I used to smoke two tabs with every pint. I now only smoke one every time I buy a pint and have to go out to enjoy it... not a problem, you meet a new class of person out there!!!
Even I notice the sickening smell when they come back into the company. As stated above, you can now also smell stale beer and BO in the bars.. that is the only problem.
Oh..PS. ... I now drink twice as much so I can have my quota of tabs  ;) and I have a new headlining in the car which is unstained !!! (yet  00) )
Previously a UK WRC ST205 & a CS (UK !*%)
Now.... a 1970 Triumph 13/60 convertible, a Hyindai Amica and a Honda CR-Z Hybrid :)

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585
  • Online Today: 208
  • Online Ever: 923
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:22:13 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 154