News: Take advantage of the members discounts  be sure to pay your membership fee. Ask Cee for details...

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 15, 2024, 02:40:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone know about grants for starting a business?  (Read 4630 times)

Offline karbon

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
  • I see you baby, shaking that ..................
    • Carbon bits!!
Anyone know about grants for starting a business?
« on: May 12, 2009, 04:55:25 pm »
As some of you who will know, im considering selling my crate to fund a van and tools to start up carpet fitting again.  Then a friend suggested I apply for a grant to start up a business.  I have done a lot of on-line searching and its a minefield, cant find much that really helps.  Has anyone on here had any dealings with this or point me in the right direction?
Gaffer tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together.

There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship"  more than wrinkles in the gaffer tape.....

Offline bazza2541

• GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 0
  • All hail the mighty shed!
Re: Anyone know about grants for starting a business?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 05:01:02 pm »
I could but, you do drive a 185.

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:57:19 pm »
is there an equivalent of Invest NI over there..... we take our ideas to Invest NI and they decide if it's feasable and give grant accordingly.

Offline karbon

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
    • Carbon bits!!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:13:08 pm »
I could but, you do drive a 185.

At least I have 4 that I drive, unlike others.   8)

Paul, we have enterprise centres regionally and acting on info from a good source im going to give them a try.
Gaffer tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together.

There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship"  more than wrinkles in the gaffer tape.....

Offline bazza2541

• GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 09:14:40 pm »
Paul used to drive a hairdressers car too, maybe thats why he is afraid of the faff?

Offline karbon

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
    • Carbon bits!!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 09:18:27 pm »
Paul used to drive a hairdressers car too, maybe thats why he is afraid of the faff?

I have to back Paul up here, you can hardly class a car that Mr Sainz put his name too as a hairdressers car, you would in fact be suggesting that the man responsible for taking the 165 to glory so many times was in fact a hairdresser and not one of the best rally drivers ever to grace the seat of a car.

Offline ChrisW

• ST185
  • Chairperson
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 10:05:01 pm »
I think that grants may be dependent on your employment status and reason for the grant, e.g. if you have been self-employed you are less likely to be eligible. It can't do any harm to ask tho:

Here's an interesting site (imho)

http://www.startups.co.uk/6678842910511277873/grants-for-starting-a-business.html

HTH

www.wefixalloys.co.uk
www.facebook.com/WeFixAlloysNewcastle
ST185 Jap Grey(his) 401bhp and 350lbft at 1.5bar
ST185 Jap Grey(hers) 276bhp and 270lbft

Offline karbon

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
    • Carbon bits!!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 10:11:02 pm »
Thanks chris, all info helps mate.  Its a total nightmare trying to get through the red tape.

Offline bazza2541

• GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 11:17:18 pm »

I have to back Paul up here, you can hardly class a car that Mr Sainz put his name too as a hairdressers car, you would in fact be suggesting that the man responsible for taking the 165 to glory so many times was in fact a hairdresser and not one of the best rally drivers ever to grace the seat of a car.

He started off well, then about 1992 turned into a total limp-wristed hairdresser.They eventually had to pair him up with a hairy-arsed Scotsman to try and man him up a bit.
Terrible shame.

Offline karbon

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
    • Carbon bits!!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 09:51:44 am »

He started off well, then about 1992 turned into a total limp-wristed hairdresser.They eventually had to pair him up with a hairy-arsed Scotsman to try and man him up a bit.
Terrible shame.

Your immpossible.  Though how did you know it was a hairy arsed scotsman?  8)

Offline bazza2541

• GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 11:17:17 am »
Aren't they all?
Nation of hairy arsed haggis hurlers?

Offline karbon

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
    • Carbon bits!!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 11:21:38 am »
Aren't they all?
Nation of hairy arsed haggis hurlers?

Cant argue with that one.

Offline Trouble

• Club Member
  • I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 01:14:15 pm »
ROFL - above is much missed banter love it

any who.. a good place to start looking is moneysavingexpert.com if you have a search on the forums registration is free and there are a lot of solicitors that donate their time for free with their advise and they are very very helpful.

But you may well have to post up you quarry and usually get a reply within a day.  Same as here though, everyone gets naffed off with answering the same old "whats error code bla bla mean" when theres tones of posts with the answer there ready for the picking.  So have a quick search, if no luck register and drop a post.

Good luck !!   

can you check out my other post re tradesman? all will be explained.
Trouble by name trouble by nature.  It just happens that way.

Offline bazza2541

• GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 01:17:44 pm »
Did you try the enterprise centre yet? Princes trust also gives grants if you are in the age bracket.

Offline karbon

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
    • Carbon bits!!
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 01:19:00 pm »
Ill hunt that tradesmen post down.

And how can you possibly class a serious conversation about the state of a scotsmans arse as banter?  i doubt the furry cracked scotsmen would be impressed to hear that.   :D :D :D :D :D

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 923
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:22:13 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 178