News: Take advantage of the members discounts  be sure to pay your membership fee. Ask Cee for details...

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 13, 2024, 03:10:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: XS Power  (Read 4719 times)

Offline crossy67

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
Re: XS Power
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 07:26:07 pm »
My 1st failure was so bad it was hard to distinguish the cause without stripping.  It lost a chunk off the exhaust housing, bent the shaft and threw the compressor wheel nut off and popped the snail off.  As said, they said oil starvation or foreign object, which one I never found out. 

The second one was down to over speed even though on Garretts over speed example sheet where the whole exhaust wheel has exploded the root or heal of the blade was intact, this was the bit missing of my turbo. 

Also as I am running a very sweet stock engine to get over speed I must have been running some amazing boost that would have killed the engine.

Funny thing is, I have had the original turbo that had done over 60k and was perfect when I removed it to "upgrade" :-\ then after the 1st failure I replaced it with another CT20 borrowed of a friend which was perfect.  This was replaced with the second attempt which lasted 1500 miles, whan this one went bang I bought a used CT20 which is still mint. 

All turbos were primed and driven carefully for a week or so, the 1st one was driven gently as the PFC only had a generic map of a car with the same mods as mine (turns out it was almost spot on).

Odd how only TT units are affected by the oil starvation issues and or are hit by all the foreign bodies managing to get clean through my engine?

I would never use this company ever again, there are other more reputable companies out there.  Ok, they might not be as well known but IMO they can't be any worse. 

My TT experience cost me over £1500, Garrett money :o

Offline mrdb

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 3
    • Adl Racing
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 08:24:21 pm »
Did they replace the first one or did you take the risk again?

To be honest i have heared a few failure reports on the old TT ct26 hybrids and i think it was mainly why they completly re-designed the unit etc i know of several S148 turbos still going strong. I admit warranty support on the turbos generaly isnt worth the paper its written on but i doubt any hybrid is...  I would also go garrett if i had the money. The reason i chose the TT hybrid was due to the fact of the re engineerd housing to single waste gate and the fact it actualy does perform as well as on the label and knew a few people running it with no problems. I too took the gamble on getting a good one so to speak and so far so good..

I also feel unless we know numbers of turbos sold and how many fail it is a situation of whos most vocal about it that paints the picture that everyone makes. Not many people will post about the pros of a turbo but will right pages on how it went wrong. Poo sticks comes to mind. However XS power stuff has a world wide loathing so from that we can conclude they are crap :)

Totally understand your reasoning though because if mine went pop within miles of fitting it i too would be bad mouthing them as well, although i would expect it would be customer service i would be moaning about. If they replaced it under warranty no one would moan that much ( Bad customer service is what people really moan about ). I could buy a chocolate turbo and have it melt at the flick of the switch but i wouldnt really care if they just said sorry here's your money back or here's one that will work, i would care if they just said tuff diddies!!!!.

Hybrids have their place but i feel they all have their bad / good reports.

Offline crossy67

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 10:32:23 pm »
I had to pay for it to be rebuilt.

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585