News: Take advantage of the members discounts  be sure to pay your membership fee. Ask Cee for details...

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 12, 2024, 11:20:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: XS Power  (Read 4717 times)

Offline bazza2541

• GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 0
  • All hail the mighty shed!
XS Power
« on: August 16, 2008, 09:28:49 am »
Following on from another thread, I thought I;d post this for some discussion,

http://www.bblgroup.us/ssautochrome.htm

Offline ChrisW

• ST185
  • Chairperson
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
Re: XS Power
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:39:26 am »
Good find bazza, I just hope my downpipe stays in one piece ;)

www.wefixalloys.co.uk
www.facebook.com/WeFixAlloysNewcastle
ST185 Jap Grey(his) 401bhp and 350lbft at 1.5bar
ST185 Jap Grey(hers) 276bhp and 270lbft

Offline Nosher

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
  • JDM ST205
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 12:19:26 pm »
Fookin hell. I knew they had a bad rep but thats a good read.

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 01:27:07 pm »
yeah i know they were a bad company to deal with and there is a guy over here who i met that was dealing in their stuff but the amount of hassle he took over failures was unbelievable, but i'll still stand by the comment i made in the other thread, i see nothing wrong with their downpipes i haven't seen them give any real bother especially in the short term and i've seen and heard of aussies giving more bother

Offline Nosher

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
  • JDM ST205
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 03:16:09 pm »
The downpipe issues were with the earlier ones and i beleive they rectified this eventualy.
Most downpipe cracking issues seem to be with peeps not fitting the lower bracket, which is essential.

Offline fifegt4

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 2
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 03:30:40 pm »
its all down to you get what you pay for imo a down pipe is a relitively easy part to manufacture compared with a turbo which can run at upwards of 100,000rpm and would need to be properly balanced tolerence checked. I personnely would look at a decent turbo and spend a little more for it n i do like a bargin lol

Car up for sale see, Cars for sale forum.

Offline Driveby

• Stance Monkey
  • Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 3
  • Fo'Rider
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 04:25:07 pm »
Ive had an XS down pipe on my 205 for over 3 years, fitted perfect, has been lagged and still going strong, as fifegt4 says theres alot more that can go wrong with a turbo, which is something I wouldnt skimp on.

Offline crossy67

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 08:08:56 am »
Kinda reads just like my dealings with Turbo Technics after the 1st hybrid failed after 500 miles and I was told it is EITHER oil starvation or foreign body, this I was told by someone who answered the phone and it was said in a sarcastic tone like yeah no mater what the cause was it will be one of these.  I paid for it to be rebuilt and re fitted it, this time it lasted 1500 miles.  Sent it back to be told it was over speed and had a print out of Garrett over speed failures, problem is they did not match my failure :-\.  Over speed causes the tips to break off (as you'd expect if you think about the forces involved) but my turbo had lost a piece off the heel or root of the exhaust wheel.

TT = no warranty. >:(

Offline The Doctor

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 08:48:23 am »
Perhaps we should have crap kit list somewhere on this site.Only buy from these guys if you have  a gun to your head ;D

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 10:28:12 am »
and where did chrisw get his turbo from? mmmmmmmmm turbo technics lol good luck

Offline ChrisW

• ST185
  • Chairperson
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 12:38:18 pm »
In fairness, I have no complaints about the product, so far ;)

Tho, I will say categorically that their customer service is appalling. When I had the Hydra fitted, the wastegate had failed so it was sent back to TT, as it's a warranty thing!?!?, tho this was only after I had to ring them and say 'collect it and fix it!'

They wanted to send a replacement part for the mapper to weld on????? WTF?

I said no way.

After all the work was completed I rang TT to find out when they were gonna reimburse me for the time taken by the mapper to remove tubby and refit (3 1/2 hours), as this had been agreed when they collected it. I was told in no uncertain terms to 'go away'.

I will find the original thread and post a link, as the guy who I spoke to was a complete w-anchor!!
I think the original is on the old forum archive. Tho you can take my word for it on the above.

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:43:39 pm by ChrisW »

www.wefixalloys.co.uk

Offline mrdb

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 3
    • Adl Racing
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 03:07:32 pm »
I do see loads and loads of hybrid failure threads blaming companies etc... IMHO a good percentage of those are user errors and are justified when they say contamination etc...

Day 1 ) Most threads start with ive blown my turbo what now?
Day 2 ) then ive just fitted a hybrid it goes well.
Day 3 ) Then The hybrids blown and they wont fix it under warranty.

Now in some cases i suspect that the initial cause of the original falure was not found and simply put down to age and hence new turbo fitted and fails due to same reason, or bad fitting, using gasket sealant before turbo, forgetting to prime it, Ragging it on first drive the list goes on...

Ive put many 1000's of miles on my hybrid from TT and so far nothing to report, my initial failure i suspected as overheating problems so i made sure i fixed everything associated with the cooling system. I also primed the turbo and took it easy for a few 100 miles which i also believe lots dont i also did an oil change at 100miles.... I actually dropped my turbo off at the counter and yes they are a bit of an arse, couldnt understand why i wanted a receipt for my exchange turbo ????? Just watch mine will go pop now heading home  :'(

I also do admit that there are times when failure is actually bad product, nuts coming off compressor wheel etc all these faults failures are not limited to hybrids its the same accross the board garrets/hks etc you can find problems with every turbo manufactured its a risk we all take as everyone is in it for the £ and nothing else these days........

Customer service however costs nothing but bad customer service costs loads!!!!!

Offline ChrisW

• ST185
  • Chairperson
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 04:34:39 pm »
Customer service however costs nothing but bad customer service costs loads!!!!!

Well said that man!!!

www.wefixalloys.co.uk

Offline dawesy

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 05:19:15 pm »
TBH hybrids do cause a lot of issues mostly oil seals. the one on chris's car looks good, i actually thought it was a garret at first until i noticed the CT exhaust housing.
i believe that AET will not hybridise a CT because of the inherent problems with them.
as said XS power DP are fine but wouldn't trust one of their turbos. the compressor housing should be a single cast not two halves 'glued' together!

Offline mrdb

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 3
    • Adl Racing
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 05:59:43 pm »
I agree XSPOWER are absolute tosh IMHO apart from DP which if used with brace and also under support for mid pipe are fine..

Offline crossy67

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 07:26:07 pm »
My 1st failure was so bad it was hard to distinguish the cause without stripping.  It lost a chunk off the exhaust housing, bent the shaft and threw the compressor wheel nut off and popped the snail off.  As said, they said oil starvation or foreign object, which one I never found out. 

The second one was down to over speed even though on Garretts over speed example sheet where the whole exhaust wheel has exploded the root or heal of the blade was intact, this was the bit missing of my turbo. 

Also as I am running a very sweet stock engine to get over speed I must have been running some amazing boost that would have killed the engine.

Funny thing is, I have had the original turbo that had done over 60k and was perfect when I removed it to "upgrade" :-\ then after the 1st failure I replaced it with another CT20 borrowed of a friend which was perfect.  This was replaced with the second attempt which lasted 1500 miles, whan this one went bang I bought a used CT20 which is still mint. 

All turbos were primed and driven carefully for a week or so, the 1st one was driven gently as the PFC only had a generic map of a car with the same mods as mine (turns out it was almost spot on).

Odd how only TT units are affected by the oil starvation issues and or are hit by all the foreign bodies managing to get clean through my engine?

I would never use this company ever again, there are other more reputable companies out there.  Ok, they might not be as well known but IMO they can't be any worse. 

My TT experience cost me over £1500, Garrett money :o

Offline mrdb

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 3
    • Adl Racing
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 08:24:21 pm »
Did they replace the first one or did you take the risk again?

To be honest i have heared a few failure reports on the old TT ct26 hybrids and i think it was mainly why they completly re-designed the unit etc i know of several S148 turbos still going strong. I admit warranty support on the turbos generaly isnt worth the paper its written on but i doubt any hybrid is...  I would also go garrett if i had the money. The reason i chose the TT hybrid was due to the fact of the re engineerd housing to single waste gate and the fact it actualy does perform as well as on the label and knew a few people running it with no problems. I too took the gamble on getting a good one so to speak and so far so good..

I also feel unless we know numbers of turbos sold and how many fail it is a situation of whos most vocal about it that paints the picture that everyone makes. Not many people will post about the pros of a turbo but will right pages on how it went wrong. Poo sticks comes to mind. However XS power stuff has a world wide loathing so from that we can conclude they are crap :)

Totally understand your reasoning though because if mine went pop within miles of fitting it i too would be bad mouthing them as well, although i would expect it would be customer service i would be moaning about. If they replaced it under warranty no one would moan that much ( Bad customer service is what people really moan about ). I could buy a chocolate turbo and have it melt at the flick of the switch but i wouldnt really care if they just said sorry here's your money back or here's one that will work, i would care if they just said tuff diddies!!!!.

Hybrids have their place but i feel they all have their bad / good reports.

Offline crossy67

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 10:32:23 pm »
I had to pay for it to be rebuilt.

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585