News: Take advantage of the members discounts  be sure to pay your membership fee. Ask Cee for details...

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 19, 2024, 07:03:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Strip, keep or sell.  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
  • GT4 Model: ST185
Strip, keep or sell.
« on: June 19, 2008, 10:50:59 am »
I'm currently renting a place in the middle of nowhere and will be for the forseeable future (at least 12 months) so I have no place for the Toy, he is sitting on the drive of a neighbour of my parents, who allows me to rent it for a box of chocolates per year. Cant really afford to run it as a second car at the moment so it sits unused and unloved.

He needs some work (sills need welding, ECU needs a few tweaks but otherwise is in fine fettle, body is a little tatty (dinks and scratches thanks to car parks)). Its currently insured as off-the-road and SORNd, totally disabled (a fair amount of kit taken out of the bonnet for security and because I was mid tweak when I had to leave, including water pump renewal). So my choices are:

1) Sell either as parts or whole - will cost a £500 to get it roadworthy and minty body again, £250 just roadworthy.
2) Strip the beast of all excess weight and clutter, turn it into a competition car over the course of the next year or so.
3) Keep it as-is, under a car-cover, and hope its not rotted away by the time I can afford to play daily again.

I dont know what to do with him. I like the idea of stripping it and going all-out competition (its never going to win but taking part will be fun) but it seems sacrilegious to take a perfectly neat and tidy interior and get shut, when it could be returned to a classy car given time.

Its had an AWEFUL lot done to it - whole rear end was stripped, bushes replaced, under body de-rusted and repainted. All fluids regularly changed, plenty of mods, MHG and possibly forgies from the previous owner as far as I can tell. Spent a lot of time and effort fitting and tuning the megasquirt, replacing exhausts/manifolds/turbos etc etc and will never get that back if I sell whole.

No real rush on the decision, he'll just sit on the drive gathering bird poo, but I feel sorry for him every time I go home.

White '91 185, 205 gearbox and Rev2 Mr2 Tubby Engine, CT20b. Megasquirted @ 14psi.

Offline ChrisW

• ST185
  • Chairperson
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
Re: Strip, keep or sell.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:39:04 am »
How about a compromise? Strip it for track/comp and keep the interior(if you have somewhere available) for returning it to former glory?

Cheers

www.wefixalloys.co.uk
www.facebook.com/WeFixAlloysNewcastle
ST185 Jap Grey(his) 401bhp and 350lbft at 1.5bar
ST185 Jap Grey(hers) 276bhp and 270lbft

Offline calam

• Matt
  • Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:46:34 am »
sell the god bits of interior to fund the track toy. either way you'll have to pay to get it back on the road. Depends how much u need it on the road, and whether or not you can afford to make it into a worthy track monster. Im guessing you'll be spending more than £500 if you want to track it?

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
  • GT4 Model: ST185
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:57:20 am »
TBH I probably cant keep the interior - no more garage space! To track it I'd need:

New Rims
Poss new shocks
I have a new IC setup ready to go in.

Very little else required really, certainly not expensive stuff. But actually paying for the track time/sprint series is pricey yes.

White '91 185, 205 gearbox and Rev2 Mr2 Tubby Engine, CT20b. Megasquirted @ 14psi.

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585
  • Online Today: 19
  • Online Ever: 923
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:22:13 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8