News: To pay your membership fee by PayPal please send your email address to Cee .

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 13, 2024, 12:51:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Another newb....  (Read 4531 times)

Offline darbyweb

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
Another newb....
« on: July 24, 2007, 08:36:58 am »
Wow - seems a bit bizarre calling myself a "newb" at 41 - but hey-ho, gotta start somewhere  :D

Currently not a GT4 owner, but seriously contemplating it...

I had a MKIV TT Supra (was one of the two founders of mkivsupra.net) for 3 years but parted company with it a few years ago - have had a bit of a chequered car history since then going from Ford Explorer to S Type Jag to PT Cruiser to Subaru Forester 2.5 Turbo to Grand Cherokee  ;D

After visiting JAE at the weekend am now considering a 205 would make a nice addition to the family car pool.

I'm keen to get a feel for whats about for mild modding - back box,decatt, suspension, wheels etc.? and what performance is like for a stock or near stock 205 vs something like a TT Supra.

Lastly do you still get hit for JDM vs UK cars on insurance. I've done a few quotes based on the reg. numbers of cars for sale on here and pistonheads, and they all seem to be coming in around the £225 mark.

Oh, if anyone wants to see my sad collection of my previous car photo's you can look here.

http://www.samares.net

Cheers

Dean.

Offline madgaz

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 0
  • Remember, silence is golden, duct tape is silver.
    • My Site
Re: Another newb....
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 08:39:22 am »
Welcome to the club Dean 8)

Enjoy your stay here.
The 205 owners will be about soon enough to give you the info you need.

Seriously wanting another GT4 NOW god dam it!!!

Offline The Doctor

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 09:24:44 am »
Hi Dean and welcome to the club.If you are having any problems with insurance ring Sky and they will sort you out 8)

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 12:53:32 am »
Loving the Sup especially with the lexus rims on it, deffo stands out, over here in ireland, the fours are better suited to our roads as our longest motorway in Northern Ireland is something like 30 miles long and the majority of the roads are A and B style, my mate Darragh who's also on here has a 185 and a tt supra and he thinks the celica is harder to run, but i think thats down to his driving and the fact that the sup is an auto, but celica's are alot more nimble than the supra's and handle on the bumpy roads far better than the supra ever will, but for the flat the supra will def make headway, my advice is get one and keep the supra and have best of both worlds seen your an oldie you'll have plenty of cash stashed away, welcome to the club by the way

Offline johnharrison

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 08:46:42 am »
Welcome Dean and at 41 you are a youngster :D

ST205WRC Number 1130

Offline darbyweb

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 01:48:41 pm »
Loving the Sup especially with the lexus rims on it, deffo stands out, over here in ireland, the fours are better suited to our roads as our longest motorway in Northern Ireland is something like 30 miles long and the majority of the roads are A and B style, my mate Darragh who's also on here has a 185 and a tt supra and he thinks the celica is harder to run, but i think thats down to his driving and the fact that the sup is an auto, but celica's are alot more nimble than the supra's and handle on the bumpy roads far better than the supra ever will, but for the flat the supra will def make headway, my advice is get one and keep the supra and have best of both worlds seen your an oldie you'll have plenty of cash stashed away, welcome to the club by the way

Thanks for the comments Paul - up to the 'oldie' bit anyway  >:(

The Sup has gone now - so the GT4 would be to completement the 2 x Jeeps and Rav4 we own...

I could get another Sup, but after visitng JAE i'm sure i want something different and the GT4 is just calling me. Especially if i can get something nice for 5k.

Plus as i live in a village and have to use the ever deteriorating B roads a Celica would make sense. Also i scared my self sh*tless a few times with the Sup on the B roads in the wet  ;)

Sooo - can someone tell me how different a stock 205 and a WRC feel. And do the additions on a WRC help long term for basic modding.

And lastly... the garage that did my Supra, and does plenty of other Supras/Evo's etc., said that doing anything ona GT4 engine is expensive in comparison to the Supra - is this right ???

Cheers

Dean.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 01:50:18 pm by darbyweb »

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
  • GT4 Model: ST185
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 02:52:45 pm »
Stock and WRC are identical except for disabled extra bits that cant really easily be enabled - both as good as each other. Oh, and the WRC has spoiler riser blocks but you can buy them anyway.

White '91 185, 205 gearbox and Rev2 Mr2 Tubby Engine, CT20b. Megasquirted @ 14psi.

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 03:30:08 pm »
Celica's are the achille's heel of Toyota not an easy motor to work on, but 205 is easy worked on than the 185

Offline Driveby

• Stance Monkey
  • Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 3
  • Fo'Rider
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 10:51:51 pm »
Hi Dean and welcome to the club.  If you were at JAE you probably saw a few cars belonging to members on here :)
5k should see you with a decent example of the pretty ST205 ;)

Offline Bad_Taste

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 01:15:53 am »
Hi dean, welcome, im 34 have a 95 205 import that elephant.co.uk insure for me for £530 fully comp with breakdown cover and protected no claims + glass cover, whats everyone else paying??

Offline Nosher

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
  • JDM ST205
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 07:07:00 am »
£5k will get you a decent example of a stock motor
Add a decat, exhaust, filter and a boost controller. Raise the boost to 1.1bar from the stock 0.9bar and you will see a safe 290-300BHP.

Whereabouts are you? Im sure there will be someone loca to you who can steer you in the right direction when picking your motor ;)

Offline darbyweb

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 11:09:20 am »
Hi Dean and welcome to the club.  If you were at JAE you probably saw a few cars belonging to members on here :)
5k should see you with a decent example of the pretty ST205 ;)

Yep - it was the line up of cars at JAE that has convinced me to go down the 205 route.

Dean.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 11:11:22 am by darbyweb »

Offline darbyweb

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 11:12:38 am »
£5k will get you a decent example of a stock motor
Add a decat, exhaust, filter and a boost controller. Raise the boost to 1.1bar from the stock 0.9bar and you will see a safe 290-300BHP.

Whereabouts are you? Im sure there will be someone loca to you who can steer you in the right direction when picking your motor ;)

Thanks for the info - they are the kind of mods i would be happy to make to a stock car, maybe some wheels and suspension too.

Im located near Milton Keynes, so hopefully there will be others around here..

Dean.

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585
  • Online Today: 135
  • Online Ever: 923
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:22:13 am)
Users Online
Users: 0