News: Who's up for JAE 2014? 2013 was awesome!! Join up now!

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 12, 2024, 07:00:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: My Faff  (Read 10658 times)

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
Re: My Faff
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 11:33:47 am »
Those raiser blocks are different also you could start a thread in the projects section were you can update people with the progress of your motor. Keep the goodies coming.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 12:48:45 pm by paul_gt4 »

Offline V1 Rotate V2

• Club Member
  • I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 03:17:25 pm »
Well i'd love to keep the goodies coming, but only a week after fitting the Blitz DSBC Spec S my turbo gave up  :'(

Took it to TR&D to get it looked over and it was Ian that delivered the bad news... not sure exactly what part of the unit has gone as i couldn't feel any serious play in and out with the impeller, but i'll ask Ian if i remember.

Here's a vid of what happened. Just turned the key one day to go fill up and this what happened:

There's zero boost at all, and you can hear that awful whining sound.

Now, usually i'd see this as an opportunity to get a Garrett disco potato, or possibly some sort of Fennies hybrid if i felt daring, but i'm quitting my job this month and paying to go full time into a study program for 15 months. So the solution in this case is that i've got a replacement lined up from Colin/Gottagoturbo from a salvaged ST205 in fine working condition... saving me a good few pennies.

Good news is i managed to get a harness for my ebay HKS F-Con V find from HKS Europe. That'll go in as soon as the turbo's on and i've sorted the non-existing shim kit.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline flyingtele

• GT4EC Staff
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 2
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 10:52:47 am »
Hi WTTC mate, nice looking car you got there :) In reference to the bonnet struts, the black cylinder is indeed meant to go at the top, and the shiny metal rod on the bottom. The reason is inside there is a small pool of oil, and when installed correctly, it pools up on top of the main seal, keeping it lubricated. Just helps keep a smooth operation, and also helps prevent loss of pressure. And good to hear you got a replacement tubby to keep 'er alive

Offline V1 Rotate V2

• Club Member
  • I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 01:58:30 pm »
Ahhhh awesome matey, thank you indeed! I'll rectify that whenever i eventually get the car back. I could do with some loss of pressure though, as it nearly took my local mechanic's chin clean off last week  ;D May have to print a warning on the bonnet!

I'm driving an automatic 2.5 V6 Mondeo (beat to sh*t but still a year or two younger than mine!) at the moment - its totally american in there's balls all power from that big ol' engine and its just as thirsty as my faff. Can't wait to get it back! Hopefully Colin is coming down to Notts this weekend with the turbo so i can get it to TR&D asap.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline flyingtele

• GT4EC Staff
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 2
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 02:42:08 pm »
ah sounds like my mates car lol. Its an old auto Holden Commodore (sold in UK as Vauxhall I believe) and that has the 3.8 L V6 Buick engine, big old heavy pushrod motor. Makes squat all power for it's size and uses much more fuel than my 185 does when its being pushed! Its good for cruising at 100 Km/h while sitting at around 1500 RPM and thats about it. Slow and sluggish lol

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585
  • Online Today: 119
  • Online Ever: 923
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:22:13 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 83