News: To pay your membership fee by PayPal please send your email address to Cee .

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 15, 2024, 01:42:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Worth breaking my Sainz?  (Read 5011 times)

Offline capman

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
Re: Worth breaking my Sainz?
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2008, 12:03:46 am »
what do you mean it comes in two sections?  :-[

Bonnet isn't too bad, a skim of filler and a respray would have it dead on. I agree though, a respray would be the best option, then again black is black, could get away with just doing the needed panels.

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2008, 12:08:47 am »
i replaced the sills on my sainz before the respray last year, and they come in 2 sections and one slides over the other under the plastic side skirt, their not cheap but i'd rather use genuine parts than make up a sill cover from fabricated metal

Offline capman

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2008, 01:53:47 pm »
Ah ok i think i get you, that plate that is welded is sort of half under the sill cover so thats probably covering the join. Have had loads of enquiries about the car but no-one turned up with proper cash as yet. If i get anymore offers of less than a grand then i might just pull the sale as i really can't be arsed dealing with people wasting my time  >:(

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2008, 01:59:26 pm »
couldn't find a pic there last night to show you about the 2 piecs in question but i'm sure someone on here might have one

Offline capman

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2008, 02:05:30 pm »
were yours as bad as mine when you replaced them?

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2008, 02:11:33 pm »
no, no where near as bad, mines were just blistering and i replaced them before it travelled, only way to see how bad it is is to cut it out, i have a guy in Derry who's super at that kinda of work, he's actually doing my womans puma as we speak........ putting wider arches on it at the rear, trying to gt it ready for the ford fair next sat in Portrush

Offline capman

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2008, 03:07:57 am »
yeah cutting it out is definitely the proper option. if the car doesn't sell soon i'm just gonna hang onto it and do the work. i don't want this to drag on for weeks/months with hanging about waiting on people coming to view the car.

my phone has been going mental today from 11am this morning, people foning from all over Ireland looking to come up.

couple of boys were up looking at it tonight... turns out one of them owned my old white Sainz that was an insurance write-off, and i seen it in the trader about a year ago for £5k  ;D

Offline capman

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2008, 05:20:47 pm »
Been out enjoying the weather today and going over the car with Megaiurs 3 stage polish stuff and looking at the car now i think i'm mad selling it at this price, seriously thinking about holding onto it. :o

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2008, 10:31:23 pm »
you'll enjoy driving it more when you do the work yourself, and you have a pm

Offline capman

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2008, 01:56:45 am »
back at ya

yeah i know what you mean about enjoying it more, i was like that putting my 205Mi16 together, and if you know anything about Peugeot/French reliability/electrics... you'll know that a lot of blood sweat and tears went into that car!

Just when its something that is beyond my own personal capabilities it kind of gets put on the backburner then i get sick of looking at it and throw the head up  :D

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2008, 02:13:18 am »
yeah understand fully about french crap sold my d turbo and was i glad to see the back of it, i done 250 miles in it from november mainly when the sainz was away getting work done, it was that bad i drove the womans puma day in day out if the celica wasn't about

Offline Gary ST165

• GT4EC is like my home!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2008, 02:33:05 pm »
don't break the car....it will be worth a pittance in spares.

but as a whole it could be worth a lot more as a clean stock example. keep it spend the money and then sell...
Regards,
Gary.

'89 ST165 turbo 4WD
'91 ST185 GT-FOUR RC Carlos Sainz Limited Edition 825•5000
'91 ST185 turbo 4WD Carlos Sainz Limited Edition 2541•5000

Offline capman

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2008, 09:10:59 pm »
well for the money i'm asking (or what i'm willing to accept) i'm confident i could break it for more. i used to break a lot of cars years ago and still have a load of parts lying here as i rarely throw anything out  :-X

anyhow, i've pulled any for sale posts i had on various forums, leaving only the pistonheads ad.

theres a guy coming tomorrow night who has been wanting to view the car for the past week but i've been putting him off each time. can't remember if i told him the lowest i'd take as theres been so many people calling/texting/emailing i've lost track. if he isn't prepared to pay it then i'll think about get cracking on getting her sorted  :D

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2008, 10:40:08 pm »
let us know how you get on and don't sell it too cheap

Offline capman

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2008, 08:38:52 pm »
I put the guy off (again) about viewing the car tonight, as i was unable to get the thermostat refitted (lent my vice grips to someone last week and need them to release the clamp on the hose going to the inlet). He is adamant that he still want to buy the car though, but don't want anyone accusing me of selling them a boiler by not refitting the thermostat.

Was going through the history today, theres a FTSH upto 108k miles then independent garages upto 130k. The timing belt has been twice from what i can see from the history and invoices. Theres 139k on the car now.

There seems to have been some sort of 100k Toyota extended warranty on the car as theres items in the folder to suggest this, then about £5000 worth of invoices from when that expired. So it seems to have been well looked after, to be honest i never looked at the history very closely before. :o

Also found a certificate thing in the history from 1997 showing an agreed insurance value of £10,000. Not relevant now obviously but thought it was quite interesting.  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 08:42:33 pm by capman »

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 923
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:22:13 am)
Users Online
Users: 0