News: Welcome to our club, we are always looking for improvements to the site, if you have any suggestions please post them up...

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 14, 2024, 12:33:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Getting one of these little fellers  (Read 3635 times)

Offline Drfish

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
Getting one of these little fellers
« on: May 03, 2007, 11:10:53 am »

Round about the end of summer.  Got to build an outdoor area ready for him, as they tend to weigh around the 12 stone mark, which is a bit much to have with the baby.  In case anyones not sure, it's an English Bull Mastiff

Having it from a puppy, fully papered and registered.  Will keep it in the house until next spring starts, then he's outdoors.

My favourite dog.  Finally managed to talk the missus into it after she saw a slobbery example at the weekend that she fell in love with. 

Awesome guard dog potential too. 
Silver JDM ST205, GReddy EBC @ 1.1bar, Blitz panel filter, NGK Iridiums, and knackered fig 8's that will one day be changed for the ones I bought 6 months ago.

Future plans: New ECU, W.I., TT Hybrid, FMIC, and a better job to fund it all...

Offline nathanl

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
Re: Getting one of these little fellers
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 11:45:33 am »
Shortly after that pic was taken, he pulled the tree down  ;D I like those dogs.

Nathan
1994 JDM ST205 WRC.
Blitz SBC-iD, Power Meter, Pipercross Ind Kit (the only one) Decat, 3" XS Power SS System, 17" OZ Chrono's.

Offline Drfish

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 12:22:41 pm »
He actually pulled down the whole forest ;D

Been doing a bit of reading up on them.  Obviously they are cross-breeds of English Mastiffs and Bulldogs, and the biggest dog ever recorded was an English Mastiff called Zorba, who weighed in at a fairly steady 24stone, and stood 8 foot 3" tall on his back legs.  Holy fekkin cow.

Can't find any pictures of him, but apparently, he was the size of a large donkey.

I'd like to see anyone rob your house with that bad ass boy sat there growling at ya.

One of my mates has an 18 stone example, uses it to stop poachers on his game shooting park.  Needless to say, no ones tried poaching so far ;D
Silver JDM ST205, GReddy EBC @ 1.1bar, Blitz panel filter, NGK Iridiums, and knackered fig 8's that will one day be changed for the ones I bought 6 months ago.

Future plans: New ECU, W.I., TT Hybrid, FMIC, and a better job to fund it all...

Offline Dan

• Club Member
  • I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 12:43:16 pm »
Nice dog!

The area where we got out first dog from has a bit of a problem with gypos coming around kennels and trying to steal the pups. The farm we got him from had two of those to look after the farm/farm yard, and then mum and grandma German Shepherd looking after the pups inisde their enclosure.

Suffice to say, I think the gypos went elsewhere!

Fanstastic dogs, and soft as putty with their masters.

Try to make sure you get him to puppy classes and get him trained nicely though as I reckon they could be a bit of a handful...

Offline Drfish

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 01:03:54 pm »
I've got two staffies mate, similar in temprament, but obviously the mastiffs are on a much heftier scale.  I will be obedience training it though, as they are a little on the disobedient side at best.  Should be a chuckle. 

Advantage is, one of my friends used to breed them, and is a bit of an expert on them.  His two would stand in a perfect posture at the click of his fingers.  Awesome dogs.

Offline Tapi

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 01:05:19 pm »
Fanstastic dogs, and soft as putty with their masters.

but only with their masters  :-\

you know what you're doing fishy, but
is a bit much to have with the baby
kids and dogs don't mix imo.

Offline Dee

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
  • RALLY BASSET HATES MORNINGS
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 01:13:43 pm »
Nice dogs, my cousin used to breed them had about 6 in the house!!  I'm in the process of trying to get jools to let me have my dream dog  ;)

Think it might take some serious begging though!  :P

Offline Drfish

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 02:38:48 pm »
I trust my dogs enough to know that they wont do anything.

And besides which, Staffies and Mastiff breeds are the best dogs to have with kids - FACT !!!  Ask any vet and they'll tell you.  Admittedly, it can go wrong, but at the same token, you dont keep your kids in the house in case they get stung by a wasp or bee do you.  And there's much more chance of that killing them than the family pet.

I hear where your coming from, but I just dont agree that dogs and kids shouldn't be together.  Kids can learn a lot of respect for animals by having a family canine friend, and as an animal lover myself, I will never teach my children that dogs are dangerous.  Only the owners are dangerous, not the dogs ;D

Offline Dee

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
  • RALLY BASSET HATES MORNINGS
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 05:24:47 pm »
Totally agree, its all about the owners and how the dog is brought up.  I've always had dogs and never been harmed and we have 2 here and my little girl is 100% safe with both.  I would never put her in a house with a dog that I thought was nasty.

Offline jackel

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 05:36:45 pm »
my friend inherited a 5 year old bull mastiff and its so well behaved and great with the kids.the owner just couldnt cope with it and my friend allways used to go round taking it walks for the last 2 years

another mates got a neopolitan one and thats just as nice cracking dogs imho :)
Karl Mountney

Offline Drfish

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 05:41:09 pm »
I'm torn between a Bull mastiff, which is my favourite, and a normal English Mastiff, which our gert likes.  Both very similar, only the normal Mastiff gets much bigger.  To the tune of 15 stone+, and tend to be harder to train than the bulls.

Think we'll settle for the bull matsiff tho.

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 03:31:57 am »
Yeah i'd love one of those some day, but my rottie has me occupied now alot, and he's only 3yrs old, wouldn't mind a shar pei some time as well, they are both cool dogs.

Offline Drfish

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 11:24:11 am »
A friend of mine had a Shar Pei, lovely dog, although they look much better when there all wrinkly as puppies.

Anyhoo, for some reason it skitzed out one day in the house, and broke it's back.  Dead weird.  Vet said it was quite common for them to do it. 

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585
  • Online Today: 183
  • Online Ever: 923
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:22:13 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 150