News: Who's up for JAE 2014? 2013 was awesome!! Join up now!

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 03:51:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: newbie here  (Read 8717 times)

Offline vtec-boy-ste

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
newbie here
« on: July 23, 2010, 05:00:21 pm »
hello there everyone my name is ste im 21 and come from northampton i don't own a gt4 at the moment but im looking at getting one so thought i would join this forum to see how much info about them i can get i have a honda civic vti at the moment but before that i had a glanza v turbo so as you can tell i  miss boost but i want to take it another step and have 4 wheel drive aswell as its more practical all year round specialy in the winter ! and get some good performance on the track. Any info about what to look out for when viewing a gt4 or and problems they may have in the long run would i would be greatful for. look forward to meeting some new people

Many thanks ste

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
  • GT4 Model: ST185
Re: newbie here
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 05:13:46 pm »
Afternoon Ste, good to have you along, welcome to the fold. Good choice, what model were you thinking of getting, it might help us target the help a little better, they all are pretty robust and only really require general maintenance and mild caution until modified heavily, but each has its minor quibbles and of course some are older which comes with its own issues.

White '91 185, 205 gearbox and Rev2 Mr2 Tubby Engine, CT20b. Megasquirted @ 14psi.

Offline vtec-boy-ste

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 05:26:53 pm »
thank you for your welcome im after the st205 version is there much diffierence in the types sorry if i sound dumb but not realy clued up on gt4's yet i just know im after a gt4  ;)

Offline flyingtele

• GT4EC Staff
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 2
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 10:13:41 am »
Hey there Ste, welcome to the forum, good to see you are looking for a 'four.
There is plenty of info out on them elsewhere on the site, but if you want a brief overview, the st165 is the original classic, and becoming harder to find in good shape. Also the least powerful. The ST185 is probably the most common, and was toyotas most successful model. Then replaced by the st205 which was the most powerful, but also the heaviest. There are many similarities between the models, yet at the same time vast differences. If you have any questions at all, even if you think they sound stupid, then go ahead and post them up, or have a browse through the forum and you might well find an answer.
Enjoy your stay here, and make sure to keep us posted with your progress in finding a 'Four 8)

Offline vtec-boy-ste

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 11:36:28 am »
thank you mate :) will defo do some more reading up on the various models i tend to like the old school look with pop up head lights but like the st205 to for the wrc look think the best thing i can do is i see your at jae im going to be there aswell so will pop over to the stand and have a look as i don't see many round here and if any of you don't mind would be kool if i could get a run out in one of them :)

Offline vtec-boy-ste

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 11:44:10 am »
also wanting to know aswell is it wise to buy a direct import or stick to one thats been in the uk a number of years? ive seen there is a uk model but i know the imports have less restriction when the 120mph limiter is removed is there any importers you recomend as i had my glanza a direct import from wrc but after the 3 month warranty was up things started going wrong and sadly bottem end went on it in the end.

Many thanks ste

Offline cunning stunt

• Secretary
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 11:47:05 am »
hi ste
 welcome to the club, ill be at jae with the club, will be good to meet you ,take it your going in your civic
anyway any q's just ask away i have no answers but feel free to ask  ;D

Offline cunning stunt

• Secretary
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 11:51:55 am »
mine was a direct import never had any trouble with it but saying that its always nice to know that some one has looked after it so service history is always good you dont always get this with import cars
and you could always buy an import car thats been in the country a couple of years have you tried pistonheads that has some nice cars on there at the moment

Offline vtec-boy-ste

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 11:57:27 am »
mine was a direct import never had any trouble with it but saying that its always nice to know that some one has looked after it so service history is always good you dont always get this with import cars
and you could always buy an import car thats been in the country a couple of years have you tried pistonheads that has some nice cars on there at the moment

yep seen a couple on there that i like checking out the import sites aswell tending to like the sound of sva imports got 2 celica's on there that i got my eye on :)

Offline cunning stunt

• Secretary
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 12:11:36 pm »
just had a look on there site take it you are looking at the silver one ?
where abouts are you from?

Offline vtec-boy-ste

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 12:33:22 pm »
just had a look on there site take it you are looking at the silver one ?
where abouts are you from?
[/quote

yeah that ones got  my eye  less miles on it and good coilovers etc im from Northampton mate how about you ?

Offline cunning stunt

• Secretary
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 12:40:13 pm »
essex southend on sea

Offline ChrisW

• ST185
  • Chairperson
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 02:14:26 pm »
Hi Ste, as said - welcome to the club. I'm sure when you find one there be plenty willing to answer any Q's. Look forward to seeing you at JAE, we'll be sure to have the BBQ on the go ;)

Cheers

www.wefixalloys.co.uk
www.facebook.com/WeFixAlloysNewcastle
ST185 Jap Grey(his) 401bhp and 350lbft at 1.5bar
ST185 Jap Grey(hers) 276bhp and 270lbft

Offline vtec-boy-ste

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 02:23:56 pm »
hi ste
 welcome to the club, ill be at jae with the club, will be good to meet you ,take it your going in your civic
anyway any q's just ask away i have no answers but feel free to ask  ;D

yeah taking the civic along keeping it still my girl friend has decided she wants it so she's going to drive that and im getting a gt4 everybody wins :) alot of work has gone into the civic any way so would be sad to see it go but i  miss boost

Offline vtec-boy-ste

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 02:25:19 pm »
Hi Ste, as said - welcome to the club. I'm sure when you find one there be plenty willing to answer any Q's. Look forward to seeing you at JAE, we'll be sure to have the BBQ on the go ;)

Cheers

sounds good mate i look forward to meeting you all and take abit of info in about the cars ;)

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585
  • Online Today: 166
  • Online Ever: 923
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:22:13 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 117