News: Take advantage of the members discounts  be sure to pay your membership fee. Ask Cee for details...

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 08, 2024, 12:32:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Just bought a GT4  (Read 4755 times)

Offline jambox

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
Just bought a GT4
« on: April 14, 2010, 03:00:18 pm »
Hi all,

Just bought a ST185 Carlos Sainz off ebay. Its totally standard and seems in good nick. Im not looking to go down the modding route but a few little worth while ones I may consider, just wondering if there is any know faults/weak spots that I should look for or consider uprating parts.

Cheers
James

Offline karbon

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
  • I see you baby, shaking that ..................
    • Carbon bits!!
Re: Just bought a GT4
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 03:55:17 pm »
WTTC mate, post up sum pics.
Gaffer tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together.

There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship"  more than wrinkles in the gaffer tape.....

Offline cunning stunt

• Secretary
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:06:50 pm »
Hi jambox and welcome to the club.

cant answer your queries to the cs but I'm sure someone on here with more knowledge will be able to help
post some pics up and tell us about the spec.

Offline ChrisW

• ST185
  • Chairperson
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:15:26 pm »
Hi James, welcome to the club. As said, get some pics up as there's a good chance one of will know the car ;)

As for weak spots, it's difficult to say, as it will depend on what's been done already and saving you a job, so to speak. Personally, I'd be checking for any perishing on coolant hoses, brake and fuel lines based on the age of the car.

Cheers

www.wefixalloys.co.uk
www.facebook.com/WeFixAlloysNewcastle
ST185 Jap Grey(his) 401bhp and 350lbft at 1.5bar
ST185 Jap Grey(hers) 276bhp and 270lbft

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
  • GT4 Model: ST185
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 10:18:48 pm »
Hi Jambox - you'll be glad to know that really the CS doesn't have anything significant that I'd consider a weak spot. Check out the box during downshifts, it shouldn't graunch. Listen for bearing noise from the chargecooler pump (rev the engine a little while stationary to trigger the pump movement) and look out for excessive oil in the intake where it attaches to the turbo. Check that it doesnt put out blue or white smoke when left idling for a few minutes and doesn't misfire under load at high revs. Driving in 2nd, accelerate lightly, then lift off quickly, listen for a clunk (rear diff cushion wear will make it knock once). Brake lines will be on their way out by that age if not done already, as will rad hoses and check to see if the radiator plastic on the top tank is going orange - they do die at about the 18 year mark! I'm sure someone else will point out something else, but that would be my main tests on a CS - just purely because of the age of them these days.

White '91 185, 205 gearbox and Rev2 Mr2 Tubby Engine, CT20b. Megasquirted @ 14psi.

Offline flyingtele

• GT4EC Staff
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 2
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 12:19:04 pm »
wttc mate, the cs is a nice car and if you have some pics, put them up as we'd love to see it lol.
As Coyote said, just check for usual wear and tear, and a good service probably wouldn't go amiss (unless you know for sure when it was last serviced).

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585
  • Online Today: 83
  • Online Ever: 923
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:22:13 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53