News: Take advantage of the members discounts  be sure to pay your membership fee. Ask Cee for details...

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 07:22:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: My Faff  (Read 10655 times)

Offline V1 Rotate V2

• Club Member
  • I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
My Faff
« on: June 21, 2009, 02:02:44 pm »
Hi everyone,

New to the site, not sure how i've missed it as i've owned 6th gen celicas in one form or another for the last 6 years  :D

Anyway, my faff; i've owned it since January

What she looked like when i got her:

Cheeky Blitz Nur Spec R vid:

First thing i did after getting the car was to fit a Boost Gauge, and then followed a bit of a shock. The gauge was reading a pretty constant 1.4bar  :o and after a little bit of help from members on the OC and Ian Smith at TR&D, a boost leak was identified:

THEN i found an HKS FCD and as we all know they're no good for a faff so that was swiftly unplugged (blatant quick fix to fuel cut thrown up by overboost).

Thankfully the motor doesn't seem to have suffered too much tho i do believe i have a small valve stem oil seal leak - but no ringland failure  :)

Since then i have fitted a few things to smarten her up:
- JDM Rear lights, detangoed

- Front & Rear flat screen wipers:

- LED 501 sides
- Corolla clear side repeaters
- Painted calipers
- Aluminium wheel nuts
- Silver carbon OZ centre caps
- OZ Chronos (desperately need a referb')
- Smoked front indicators
- Projectors:

- Now fitted 6000k H1 HIDs
- TRD Badge
- Blitz SUS (already have Nur Spec R zorst)
- Fidanza LW Fly
- TRD Springs (fig 8's and lower arms done 15k miles ago)
- SS3 Red stitch steering wheel (old one was a mess)
- SS3 Silver dash panels
- Couple of samco hard pipes
- Stainless rad brackets and slam panel from FCM
- Got a free HKS TT so why not?!
- Gas strut bonnet lifters
- Alpine CDE-9881RB HU
- Alpine SPR-69C Speakers that i've custom mounted in rear quarters
- Alpine V12 MRV-540 Amp
- Kenwood KFC-WPS1002D 10" Sub (spends most of the time out though)
- Cyclops Camera Detector

Think thats the lot, but i do have replica TRD side skirts and F+R spats to go on (finished a lot of sanding and shaping) and from what i can tell, the car has already had all this mounted before!  :o and my latest acquisition from eBay that i am most excited about is an HKS F-Con V piggy back ECU  :D :D :D I just need a loom for it as the auction didn't have one...

So that's the car right now, other changes to come (along with the TRD stuff) including a pair of Silver Kevlar raiser blocks from a GB on CCUK, product of RTP performance. Also i'm hoping to find an EBC at a good price too :)

Would love to hear peoples comments and suggestions,

Cheers

Oli
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline fifegt4

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 2
Re: My Faff
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 02:20:58 pm »
Welcome to the club  :) The car looks minted mate. I really like the silver without all the orange lights and the projectors are cool 8)

Car up for sale see, Cars for sale forum.

Offline Driveby

• Stance Monkey
  • Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 3
  • Fo'Rider
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 03:37:56 pm »
Great car mate, projectors are probably the best mod for a 205  8)

Offline Frikkin Evil

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 03:59:34 pm »
Welcome fella. I'm loving what you've done to your motor... It's reminded me to add a few things to my wishlist! It's great to see a well looked after car with some tasteful mods.

Offline galwaygt4

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 04:14:44 pm »
really nice looking car mate a few nice tasteful mods. really like the silver and white.
 :) ;)

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 04:30:16 pm »
very nice buddy and welcome to the club

Offline freeliner1

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 1
  • the beast...
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 06:24:45 pm »
nice looking faff m8 welcome to the club... ;) ;) :) :) ;D
live life in the fast lane...live celica..........

Offline Jeff

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 668
  • No 23
  • GT4 Model: CS and UK WRC (and an Amica)
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 07:02:31 pm »
WTTC. Where are you from?
The bonnet struts... who how what and where from?
Previously a UK WRC ST205 & a CS (UK !*%)
Now.... a 1970 Triumph 13/60 convertible, a Hyindai Amica and a Honda CR-Z Hybrid :)

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 07:50:17 pm »
bonnet struts are on ebay jeff, i have them fitted on my faff as well just got them a month or so ago, even though V1 rotate V2 has them fitted the wrong way. This is the way the directions want them fitted.

Mines

Rob_A's

Offline V1 Rotate V2

• Club Member
  • I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 08:09:02 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys and certainly glad you approve of car  :)

I didn't realise there was a right or wrong direction to fit the struts, Paul? Would the compressional forces make much of a difference if they were fitted in this manner?  :) The struts i picked up were from a friend who sold his GT and never fitted them, so they were a cheap purchase on my end but had to get advice from a friend on CCUK re' how to install them.

They are however, somewhat over-powered for the aluminium bonnet on our faffs and is more than capable working with just a single unit rather than the pair... but i found that the rotational forces involved in mounting just the one side were not conducive to keeping the shape :-\ Too many twists looked like they 'could' (good chance they wouldn't, but why chance it?) misshapen the bonnet. Honestly though, after a month or so of open/shutting they settle down nicely... just be sure to warn anyone who pops it, otherwise it could give a good uppercut.

Many thanks again for the welcome, and i look forward to meeting people at upcoming meets. Ashby Folville, second Tuesday in July will be the next one my faff attends  :) If you live near there, i can't recommend it enough and its worth searching for on PistonHeads.com for more info and pictures  8)

EDIT: From Nottingham by the way!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:54:41 pm by V1 Rotate V2 »
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline ChrisW

• ST185
  • Chairperson
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 09:18:27 pm »
Hi Rotate, get yourself up for JAE, massive event with loads of like-minded-lunes.
Looking forward to seeing your 4 in the flesh ;)

www.wefixalloys.co.uk
www.facebook.com/WeFixAlloysNewcastle
ST185 Jap Grey(his) 401bhp and 350lbft at 1.5bar
ST185 Jap Grey(hers) 276bhp and 270lbft

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 12:02:02 am »
V1 rotate V2, I'm just going by what i remember on the manual for some apparant reason i do remember it stating a reason on what way they are positioned but can't remember now that reason. The struts are very effective too effective as you say because of the weight differences between a AT200/ST202 and the ST205 but i wouldn't recommend fitting only the one, i remember when fitting mines and only having the one i tried a test closure, on opening you could see the bonnet bowing to the one side, i reckon after time this would have a detrimental effect on a permanent basis and as we all know those bonnets aren't cheap especially at the cost of a set of bonnet struts. If they are working well for you in the position they are atm good, i'm just letting you know one of the observations i seen, other than that it's a beautiful four.

Offline V1 Rotate V2

• Club Member
  • I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 04:00:55 pm »
Cheers Paul, i appreciate you noticing it and pointing it out. Always good to look out for your fellow faffers and all that  8) and you're dead right about the one strut approach, i wouldn't have that set up on any Al bonnet.

If i'm not working i will make a concerted effort to get to JAE. Its been a couple of years since i made it to the Pod or the like  ;D
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline karbon

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
  • I see you baby, shaking that ..................
    • Carbon bits!!
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 05:25:04 pm »
Hi mate, decent looking car, even if it is a faff.  Welcome to the club.   8)
Gaffer tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together.

There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship"  more than wrinkles in the gaffer tape.....

Offline V1 Rotate V2

• Club Member
  • I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 11:08:03 pm »
Not sure if i should start another thread somewhere else now, but here's a few bit's i've got hold of lately  :)

The carbon blocks were from RT-Performance (Yellowchinaman) and i'm very happy with the quality. Some have mentioned the lack of definition around the GT FOUR imprint but i quite like the subtlety personally. Fitted them with radiator screws and a generous helping of Tiger Seal just to be on the safe side  :D
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585
  • Online Today: 166
  • Online Ever: 923
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:22:13 am)
Users Online
Users: 0