News: Who's up for JAE 2014? 2013 was awesome!! Join up now!

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 08, 2024, 09:54:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Very Newbie. Looking to pick up a project car.  (Read 4415 times)

Offline mygt4

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
Very Newbie. Looking to pick up a project car.
« on: April 01, 2009, 05:14:57 am »
Followed the link into here from Wiki.  I am so new to this that I do not even have a Gt4 yet.  I am looking at a couple of ST165 locally to fix up as a project with my son.  You all seem to specialize in the later two gens, but thought I would ask for opinions.  Both the cars are in good mechanical shape (CA USA, no rust) with the minor exception that both have blown motors.  I know minor stuff.  I can get my hands on JDM clips and motors at a reasonable price.  Looking at the engine compartment has left me wondering how difficult it is to pull and replace the motors on these.  I can see daylight in a few spots, not as bad as some cars (Ford Taurus comes to mind) but not like an old datsun or chev that you could stand on the ground inside the engine bay and drink a beer while working.  8)  Do these need to come out the bottom or can they be pulled UP with minimal effort? 
I am looking at JDM ST185 engines to drop in.  Will these bolt up without too much effort?  Can I convert to the air to air if I install a hood scoop?  Should I skip the ST165 altogether because it is just...  you know... undesirable?
I do have a fondness for overlooked performance machines, but I know that parts for cars like Honda are just way easier to find.  How bad is it trying to find parts for the interior and exterior?
So as I said, looking for some opinons.  Planning to buy this weekend if one of the cars looks good.  FYI, prices are in the $500 - $1k USd for these.  As I mentioned, interiors , exteriors are ok.  The $500 one looks like crap after sitting under a tree for a year, the $1k claims to be very clean and covered.  Figure if I can clean them up and install a $1.5k motor it should be a good ride with some resale value if we decide to move up or out.
My two bits.

Offline flyingtele

• GT4EC Staff
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 2
Re: Very Newbie. Looking to pick up a project car.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 09:55:11 am »
Hi there, WTTC. a 165 project would be pretty cool. there are a few 165 owners lurking around here. 185 motor would drop straight in, just need minor wiring modifications. If going down that route would probably be beneficial to replace the stock head gasket with a metal head gasket.

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
  • GT4 Model: ST185
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 04:43:27 pm »
You'd obviously need to either modify the bonnet or install a FMIC but dropping a 185 engine in is a good option. TBH you could probably rebuild the existing engines for buttons unless they're totally mashed - depends how they died.

Personally I found pulling them up out of the bay to be a nightmare as I couldnt get the transmission off in place on mine, so the whole thing had to come out end on without mashing loads of parts on the way out. Others recommend lifting the body but I couldnt find lifting gear that was able to fit around the (now resting on the foor) engine and box while moving backwards enough to clear the engine. It does look initially quite hard to work on but when you know your way round it it's not too bad and only a few items are a pain.

The 165 was considered the most fun to drive, best balanced and simplest, but was underpowered. It depends on your goals I suppose. In the US you cant get the 205 IIRC? I'd buy a $1000 over a $500 any day if it has good body and paintwork, as these are the one thing that will cost a fortune to repair/respray properly - far more than $500.

A 185 engine is a better base to work from than a 165 engine, but likewise if you can drop a 205 clip into it you'd be one stage better to start with, each engine will need a respective ECU but topographically they're very similar.

White '91 185, 205 gearbox and Rev2 Mr2 Tubby Engine, CT20b. Megasquirted @ 14psi.

Offline Gary ST165

• GT4EC is like my home!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 06:14:45 pm »
hi mygt4,

you also have a local (USA) resource: www.alltrac.net ;)

good site for locating parts on the rare st165

Regards,
Gary.

'89 ST165 turbo 4WD
'91 ST185 GT-FOUR RC Carlos Sainz Limited Edition 825•5000
'91 ST185 turbo 4WD Carlos Sainz Limited Edition 2541•5000

Offline mygt4

• I'm New Here
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 04:03:18 am »
Well I looked at the $1000 car today.  I think I will pass.  The body and paint is slightly cleaner, however the rest of it is too original.  The struts, bushing and brakes are shot.  The engine bay has cut an chopped wires. There was a rat or something living under the hood.  Something is missing on the engine and the alternator has been moved.  This could all be replaced with a clip.  But really it was the white paint.  Just not as good looking as the gun metal.
The other car has a new 2.5" SS exhaust, a turbo controller, lowered 1",  adjustable racing struts, nice after market rims plus originals.  The paint is tolerable and only a couple of small dents that should pop back out. 
Both have rust on the moonroof.  I understand the in the US all had moonroofs. 
Coyotaboy.  Thanks for the info on pulling the motor.  It sounds like I really needs to drop down and not up.  But it sounded like pulling forward might be an option?  I am not fond of dropping motors out the bottom.  Anyone else have experience pulling the motor that could give some insight on options?

BTW what is a "FMIC"?

Thank all.

Offline ChrisW

• ST185
  • Chairperson
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 08:58:41 am »
Hi there, welcome to the club ;)

FMIC = Front Mounted InterCooler

Cheers

www.wefixalloys.co.uk
www.facebook.com/WeFixAlloysNewcastle
ST185 Jap Grey(his) 401bhp and 350lbft at 1.5bar
ST185 Jap Grey(hers) 276bhp and 270lbft

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
  • GT4 Model: ST185
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 10:15:21 am »
White paint not as good as gunmetal...kids these days.... <mumble mumble>  ;D

Yes, sounds like the other is a better option.

Not sure you could pull it forward without serious dismantling - we used to get the engine out of landrovers/rangerovers that way but I just dont think thats an option with this car.

White '91 185, 205 gearbox and Rev2 Mr2 Tubby Engine, CT20b. Megasquirted @ 14psi.

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585
  • Online Today: 83
  • Online Ever: 923
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:22:13 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 55