News: Take advantage of the members discounts  be sure to pay your membership fee. Ask Cee for details...

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 14, 2024, 12:46:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Tax doesn't have to be taxing... my ar$e!  (Read 4431 times)

Offline Frikkin Evil

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
Tax doesn't have to be taxing... my ar$e!
« on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:51 pm »
Just went online to check the price for taxing the Four, as the Mundano may need to be... set on fire. (kidding, kidding)

£125 for 6 months or £205 for 12. WTF!?! So, if you want to pay every 6 mths you will be fisted for an additional £45 for the privelige?

I'm sure it was more like £110 last year. I'm guessing the govt. want to cream off the loot from us summer car owners who don't tax the car all year, whilst not caring that they will also penalise folk of modest means with old cars.

That's fair...
...ly sh!t.

Offline karbon

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
  • I see you baby, shaking that ..................
    • Carbon bits!!
Re: Tax doesn't have to be taxing... my ar$e!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 02:04:33 pm »
Doesnt actually surprise me at all.  It seems that this government is intent on fisting the ordinary working men and women for every single penny they can get to bolster up the commons coffers, perhaps the xmas party was a tad more expensive than they thought!
Gaffer tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together.

There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship"  more than wrinkles in the gaffer tape.....

Offline martyn_pryor

• GT4EC Staff
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 3
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 04:14:44 pm »
Thats the standard prices for cars up to 1998 IIRC, when it was a lower price for below 1400cc and a bigger one for 1401cc +. When I renewed the tax on my crate and it was at those prices. I look at the fact if you were to have a newer evo or scooby, they may sting up to £400 per year for it.  :o Sometimes, older is better. I think it was £110 for 6 months before this one. What is really needed is a four that was made before 1972, then free road tax..... T26 with 3sgte anyone ? ;D
There is never enough free time for anything fun.

Offline karbon

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
    • Carbon bits!!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 06:06:55 pm »
If it has to be pre 72 then id go for an early ta22 celica with a 3sgte mounted the right way round  ;)
Gaffer tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together.

There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship"  more than wrinkles in the gaffer tape.....

Offline Chris_de_Bear

• GT4EC is like my home!
  • BIG-UP! 1
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 11:40:08 pm »
I think the mark up on 6 months is a bit ott.

In defence:

Firstly since when has a 4 been owned by people who are hard up, other than cause & effect :lol: If the 4 were more modern it would qualify for the gas guzzler tax of £1K / year like the scoobies & evos.

Secondly, yes the government are desperate for money. There is a huge budget deficit which is hardly the fault of the current government. That means raising tax and / or cutting spending OR the IMF come in and we become a 3rd world country. Which option is the popular one ? Seems the media want the 3rd as the other 2 are constantly slated.

Offline karbon

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
    • Carbon bits!!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 11:47:29 pm »
Granted Chris, though for me, I have worked all my life, paid my taxes and NI, never claimed a benefit, served in the armed forces for 10 years, and the current state of this country and it deficit is hardly my fault either, so why am I constantly being penalised at every turn?

Offline ChrisW

• ST185
  • Chairperson
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 04:30:42 pm »
Can we get you an invite on to 'Question Time'?

www.wefixalloys.co.uk
www.facebook.com/WeFixAlloysNewcastle
ST185 Jap Grey(his) 401bhp and 350lbft at 1.5bar
ST185 Jap Grey(hers) 276bhp and 270lbft

Offline karbon

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
    • Carbon bits!!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 05:25:31 pm »
I really dont think that would be such a good idea Chris!!  Id end of arrested if I even curtailed half of what I would want to say.

Offline Frikkin Evil

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 05:33:52 pm »
Whilst I agree with waht you're saying, my point is really that the poorer motorist is being shafted here.

We are merely cought up in the same bracket... as a Four owner Car Tax is a small fraction of the cost of motoring.

Offline Hairygt4

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 07:07:26 pm »
The last weren't totally responsible for the financial mess either - the greedy bankers caused it!  The ones who got bonuses for doing it, that the current lot won't tax. If ordinary folks ran the country we'd do just fine, sadly we let people who actually want to run the country do it!

Still I'd rather do 2 miles in the 4 instead of 50 in a boring biodegradable eurobox ecodrive

Offline Chris_de_Bear

• GT4EC is like my home!
  • BIG-UP! 1
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 01:22:27 am »
IMO the bankers are the scapegoats. It's a competitive market. If bank a didn't lend then bank b would. Experts were warning about record consumer debt for years before the crash. The government encouraged it to keep the ecconomy booming to win the election. Blair saw it coming and stood aside in time for brown to reap what he sowed.

In truth we've been let down by our leaders for decades.  More interested in short term feel good than long term. Also people with ability go into business not politics.

Offline karbon

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
    • Carbon bits!!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 09:21:45 am »
Too true, people with ability do go into business rather than politics.  If they do it to make their money then they should really consider politics as a viable alternative as I have yet to see a poor politician.  There is of course the underlying belief that its the top businessmen/women that actually dictate what happens in the country.  I myself subscribe to this belief as its these people who possess the real power.

Personall I agree that all bankers are wan$&rs, and here lies the true reason for the current state of this once great nation.  I think we should bring back public flogging for these people.

Offline Hairygt4

• I Like it here!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 01:23:40 pm »
People with ability go into business? People with the right connections go into business! City of London runs on the old boy network, same as many top companies. Nepotism also has a major influence.

Sure I could do their job with a little basic instruction.  Whether they could do mine would be debatable.....
It's down to opportunity, not merit.
Rant over

Happy Motoring Guys!

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585
  • Online Today: 183
  • Online Ever: 923
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:22:13 am)