News: Welcome to our club, we are always looking for improvements to the site, if you have any suggestions please post them up...

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 14, 2024, 10:40:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Any photographers on board?  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
  • GT4 Model: ST185
Any photographers on board?
« on: May 19, 2009, 03:26:14 pm »
I'm considering buying a DSLR and wanted the opinions of people who used them daily, so i thought I'd ask on a car forum :D .

White '91 185, 205 gearbox and Rev2 Mr2 Tubby Engine, CT20b. Megasquirted @ 14psi.

Offline flyingtele

• GT4EC Staff
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 2
Re: Any photographers on board?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 04:24:48 pm »
I'm considering buying a DSLR and wanted the opinions of people who used them daily, so i thought I'd ask on a car forum :D .

Perfectly understandable logic there! I'm playing with the idea of buying a DSLR camera too, probably wont though because it wouldn't get used often. Probably something along the lines of a Nikon D40, not top of the line and reasonably inexpensive, and good features and its a Nikon.

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 04:29:45 pm »
I'm thinking along the lines of the 20D or maybe a 350D - I'm a canon man myself!

White '91 185, 205 gearbox and Rev2 Mr2 Tubby Engine, CT20b. Megasquirted @ 14psi.

Offline flyingtele

• GT4EC Staff
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 2
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 04:56:57 pm »
Cant go wrong with Canon lol. The Nikon I mentioned is just one that caught my attention, I have no real preference to the manufacturer so long as its good quality and takes nice pics! My uncle is a freelance photographer, has a really nice canon camera with a complete lens kit etc, cant remember the model off hand.

Offline martyn_pryor

• GT4EC Staff
  • GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 3
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 12:44:30 am »
Depends on your budget. The canon eos 1000 kit with the 18-55mm lens comes in at about £400. Good bit of kit for beginners. Not really heard about the 20 or 350, so can't comment on those. I love the resolution and speed of my 1000d....BUT beware, all DSLR's can get expensive with additional lenses and filters. if you want a half decent wide angle lens, it can cost anywhere of £300+, and they will only fit one type of camera (I.E canon lenses will not fit a Nikon camera and vice versa (I had various lenses from an old film SLR, but would not fit the canon  :( ) ) I'd also advise looking at a high speed memory card (Sandisk Ultra II for a minimum, if possible the extreme III) for whatever camera you get, the quicker the better and more chance of getting 3 frames/sec in RAW format.

Sorry if that's put the cat amongst the pigeons, but it's something to think about, If I can help further, give me a nudge
There is never enough free time for anything fun.

Offline The Doctor

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 10:57:44 pm »
I drive a Canon 450D but any DSLR will do the job.Its basically a choice thing.Pick a camera up and see if it feels good in your hands.Also what exactly are you thinking of taking pictures of ? I spend most of my spare time taking piccies of motorsport so speed and rapid shots are important.Also as mentioned a very fast memory card and the bigger the better.A large and fast autofocusing lens with anti shake helps as well(Permanent F2 or F4). ;).Lenses are expensive but prices are coming down especially if you buy from the far east ;)

Also be prepared to spend long hours on thr computer getting that perfect shot just a little more perfect :)

Offline madgaz

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 0
  • Remember, silence is golden, duct tape is silver.
    • My Site
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 09:23:40 pm »
I would have liked a DSLR but for the amount of times I use a 'proper' camera it would be a waste of money for me.
I opted for a Fuji FZ18 eventually it and has given me some great pics...well in my eyes anyway ;D

Seriously wanting another GT4 NOW god dam it!!!

Offline Coyoteboy

• Staff Spanner Monkey
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 6
    • Bucklevision
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 09:48:15 pm »
Definitely erring on the side of the 20d at the moment, the picture sharpness and noise levels. combined with the 5fps at full res outweighs the "only" 8Mp resolution at the moment, it seems the xxxds offer more features but sacrifice speed and noise. Ultimately I'm looking for the best picture quality I can afford, with a decent fps for sports shots, and you can pick up a second hand 20d for around 180-200 without lens with only a few thousand shots on them. I can then pick up a cheapish lens or two and allow my account to recover before investing in decent glass.

I think!

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585
  • Online Today: 208
  • Online Ever: 923
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:22:13 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 128