News: Welcome to our club, we are always looking for improvements to the site, if you have any suggestions please post them up...

Login  |  Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:53:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Cheap Petrol and a fake 185  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Redbeast

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
  • Me hoose! but hopefully only for another 3 weeks!
Cheap Petrol and a fake 185
« on: February 04, 2008, 08:55:44 pm »
I have just come back from Venezuela.  Well, an island off the coast in the caribbean called Margarita.  Very tidy it was too.  The island is full of old Yank metal - a bit like cuba but more fromt he 70s and 80s than the 50s.  We got three taxis while there: a Corolla, a Oldsmobile huge thing, and a Trans Am - Smokey and the bandit style.  awesome.  cheap place too.  In fact, we went on an organised LandCruiser tour of the island to see the deserts and the mangroves and such like.  It was nice, but we ran seriously low on juice as there isnt a gas station over that side of the island.  When we limped into the one we found he filled it up from right down on fumes.  The cost?  48p.  Yep dead up - under a penny a litre.  And he even had the audacity to complain it was an expensive brand!

SO we're cruising on downin the Trans Am gawpin at all these great cars (which is cool cos normally you have european cars in europe and american cars in america etc etc, but in Venezuela they have EVERYTHING.) and what do I spy?  A bright red 185.  I actually thought it was Paul's from his Titanic photoshoot.  I had chance to look quickly as we were doing nearly 36 miles per hour in the Trans Am.... flat out.  It had a CS bonnet, massive brakes upgrade to 205s of bigger, but something wasn't right.  It wore a "GT-i 16" badge on the back, with a worrying number of bullet holes in the back windscreen.  I guess that's how the Venezuelans declare their distaste for fake Fours.  Shoot the guy.  And according to the locals, they shoot a lot of guys!

Fortunately however there was a real 185 outside the hard rock cafe - a black one which looked like it was seriously rallied out in the desert on a regular basis. Snorkel and all.  Class.

SO anyone fancy a group buy?  A large petrol can (400,000 litres or so) and a lock-up garage?  Gotta be worth it?

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
Re: Cheap Petrol and a fake 185
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 08:58:41 pm »
haha sounded like you had an amzing time, now where is the pics of my imposter

Offline Redbeast

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 09:04:59 pm »
er, didnt take the camera out... the rep suggested i might not come back with it...  nah really just went past i didnt get chance to get it out the bag before we were gone. i did look for the black one again with camera but it was gone.

seriously its not bad at all - as long as you stay out the ghettos.  absolutely beautiful island and 2 weeks all inclusive (inc beer n coctails!) is £580.  i think thats a steal!  compared with dominican republic or similar which are a couple of hundred more (or more!)

Offline The Doctor

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 09:10:45 pm »
Sounds like you had a good time 8)

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 09:18:59 pm »
whats this place all in flights and all, and where does the flights go to

Offline Redbeast

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 09:28:07 pm »
it was good (but never done a package so nowt to compare with!!)

very relaxing, very hot and the food was OK.  beer only served until 11pm though, but the guy was sound so we just ordered 20 and carried on.

the hotel we got was pueblo caribe.  only down sides is its not a young hip all hours place - more for families and older people - hence the 11pm curfew, but a nightclub was only 25 mins and £6 in a taxi away so not a prob.  and local chiquitas REALLY LIKE foreigners apparently.  i was with andrea though so i never got to find out!!!

the price was ALL INCLUSIVE - flights, 2 weeks in a neat little chalet type thing next to the pool and the nice bar, ALL beer, 3 square meals a day (80% of which were good).  gatwick to Porlamar.  9.5 hours out and 8.5 back with first choice online.  and leg room!

only money you need is for a few tips to the bar, and for any day trips liek the landcruiser safari (£25 all day inc unlimited beer n lunch), £35 swim with dolphins etc.

and if you do go, take US dollars!  The official exchange rate is 4Bolivars to a dollar, but on the black market (easily found - they come to you!) you get 6-10 and double your spending power!  it's a tax haven to, so all duty free if you pay in dollars!  latest nike shoes not even out here are like £35 instead of £135 on the web.  some serious bargains.

look it up!  I'd reccomend it, but i wouldnt go again - but thats only cos i dont liek to go to the same place twice and id rather see somewhere new! 

its a poor country though, so its not as polished as dominican or whatever.  but its hundreds cheaper.  £420 for one week.

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 09:34:58 pm »
give me a link, very interested especially once you mentioned the dolphins

Offline Redbeast

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 09:37:39 pm »
ummmm....

*looking for one*

ummmm... back in a tick

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 09:48:06 pm »
lol good boy

Offline Redbeast

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 09:52:09 pm »

Offline paul_gt4

• I owe money
  • GT4EC is my Life!
  • BIG-UP! 4
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 03:39:40 am »
scandalous money now, for 2 adults at over 1500quid, and its cheaper to go in the summer, at 1320quid

Offline Steve_666

• Club Member
  • GT4EC is like my home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 10:06:43 am »
I remember those old school american motors. Years ago I sailed into Caracas and was amazed as I walked up to the first main road. It was like watching a old episode of Kojak. We didn't have a guide or rep, just us out for a nice walk. Needless to say it didn't last long as you start to sense danger very quickly  :-\.
Remember some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them!

Offline Redbeast

• GT4EC is my Home!
  • BIG-UP! 0
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 10:24:44 am »
mint innit!

Members
  • Total Members: 1518
  • Latest: Hally2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 51306
  • Total Topics: 6585
  • Online Today: 70
  • Online Ever: 923
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:22:13 am)